29 January 2011

art smock

We bought some finger paints last week so the boys needed art smocks.


I got inspiration from Make it and Love it. I made the boy version of course (no ruffle), but since I like to make life hard I decided to cover a vintage sheet with vinyl instead of just using cotton.

It was slippery business and guess what? Vinyl doesn't slide through a presser foot and I have a wonky edge or two to prove it. So, I nixed the bias tape around the edges and zigzagged stitched raw edges. It was the easy way out and I love it. So mission accomplished Make it and Love it.

The closure on the back makes it easy to hang and store.


I learned a lot making these should-be-simple smocks. For example, I was so frustrated about not being able to sew on the vinyl that I couldn't think clearly enough to remember that you can sew with tissue paper over the vinyl, which comes off when you are done. I also learned that making two little smocks is a lot like making two little dresses and I really need to have a baby girl to sew for someday, because despite the vinyl drama this was a very very fun project.

Oh and the vinyl drama was totally worth it since Ambrose managed to get paint all over his smock (duh) and it wiped right off!

Way to go vinyl smock. Way to keep it clean.

7 comments:

echo said...

great job friend!

laurel said...

git'n stuff done n havin' fun... well done!

liko said...

yep, me and vinyl pretty much hate one another.
but yes, after our first experience i have learned A LOT about helping it get through the darn presser foot.
no thanks to martha...
love it, all your crafting creation posts made me actually want to sew a quilt for faith, in the works...

Matti said...

They look adoreable! And next time you try to sew vinyl, just toss a piece of paper, or tissue paper if you have it (easier to see through) and tear the paper off after you sew. It will glide like a dream. ;-) But, I love the way they turned out. Great work!

Anna K. said...

I have been wanting to buy some paints, and now I am even more inspired! Oh Stephanie, you are unique! You were the only person I thought of when I read that article...and then I realized that I had just cut my bangs and I was a wannabe cool mom blogger. haha. Zane doesn't have cool framed glasses either, but he should because he lost his and never replaced them. Anyways.. :)

Smiths said...

You and Ambrose are good with your hands. So great.

ashley said...

you know, you can put tissue paper on the vinyl and it will sew easier.

hahahahaha!

seriously though, good job.