24 March 2007

The birth of the BOY


So, I am sitting up at the computer on a huge boppy pillow and thought I would write a little about the birth of the love of our lives. Ambrose took his time coming but he was well worth the wait. I was thinking about writing this long detailed account of the birth, but I think I will just stick to some basics. We were going to be induced because he was big and I was a week overdue and my cervix was not budging at all. So, Sunday night we headed over to the hospital in Kailua. We got settled in by about 7:15pm and before they started anything they wanted to monitor me for about 20 minutes and during that time they saw that I was already having contractions- Hooray! My cervix was only at a 1 though. The nurses called my doctor and she said to start me on this pill as planned to get my cervix ripened up. It would probably be one of two pills taken four hours apart before they started labor with pitocin, but they only ended up giving me one since it started some big contractions very soon at about four minutes apart and soon after three minutes apart. The pitocin started at 2am- so all night long I tried to be tough and not let Thomas know I was really having a wild time breathing through the contractions so he could get some sleep befor the main event. He woke up in the wee hours of the morning anyway and helped me breathe through them. So, it went like that all night long and in the morning they checked me and I was barely a 2. So, they increased everything and things really got intense. I was not getting more than a minute break, if that, and felt out of control so we got into the bath tub and the jets were supposed to help bring on contractions but manage pain. That bath was the hardest time of my life and Thomas was so great and strong and supportive. We really worked together at breathing through everything and they increased things again. By 4:00pm I felt like I was in hell and was starting to cry and I told Thomas I didn't know how much more I could handle and we really had a great and powerful spiritual experience right there at the tub asking Heavenly Father to bless us and Ambrose. My body was really having a hard time, but I didn't want to make any irrational decisions- so I asked the nurse to check me. If I was a 5 or 6 then maybe I could keep it up. I was barely a three at 4pm- after all that. So, I asked her what my options were and she said an eipdural would take all the pain away. I asked if it would slow things down and she said no- the induction would still happen and maybe even more quickly because they could increase things even more and I could rest a little before pushing. So, I did it. I cried and cried at first because I felt disappointed, but soon after felt a sense of relief and comfort that I was doing the right thing. Needless to say the epidural was fabulous and I was able to get three or four hours of sleep before I woke up and said that I thought it was time to push. Sure enough, the nurse checked me again and said I was a 9 (hooray!!!) and the baby boy was born an hour and a half later. I felt the contractions and knew when it was time to push every-time, which made me happy and now I have beautiful Ambrose to show for it! Ok, that ended up being a little longer than previously promised. If you are still reading this then congratulations. :) I am really happy with how things went and I wouldn't take any of it back. It was the most powerful spiritual experience of my life and bonded me to my Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, my son Ambrose and my awesome husband so much. I have a lot to be grateful for.

13 comments:

star said...

I am glad to be able to hear about the delivery. I am so proud you for hanging in there! You are amazing! I am so happy for your new family! Love Ya!

laura said...

I LOVE delivery stories. Every last little detail interests me. I didn't know you weren't wanting to have an epidural. I happen to LOVE epidurals. I like being in a more controlled, calm situation so that I can enjoy the process. I didn't have one with Davin and pain seemed to take over the whole experience. It sounds like you had a good anesthesiologist(sp?) if you could still feel when to push. Well, thank you for the story and the pictures. Ambrose is adorable. You did a good job.

Emily said...

I know exactly what you mean about the 'greatest experience' of your life. It's like getting off a really exciting roller-coaster and wanting to do it again immediately.

Teresa said...

Your experience sounds like it turned out wonderfully. I can't believe it took you all night and day to get to a 4!! I am impressed that you held out that long for an epidural. Ambrose is a beautiful baby, and he is blessed to have such wonderful parents.

Anonymous said...

like music to my ears. tell it again steph (meant to be said with the same intonation as "play it again sam.").

Roeckers said...

I happen to be a big fan of epidurals myself. I have had one with each of the kids. I tried not to this last time but gave up when I knew it was close to show time. The pain was too intense and I wasn't having any fun.

They say epidurals often relax the muscles making it easier to birth.

My hats are off to you for holding off so long before asking for one!! You are a better woman than I! Congrats enjoy him now, they grow up too fast.

melissa said...

i feel a surge of love.

bettyjh said...

Can you believe that he is almost a week old! I enjoyed hearing the story again of what you went through to get that big boy out. Make sure you print this out so you can refer to it when another cute baby is on their way. Not any time too soon I hope :)

Natalie said...

I am so happy to hear the details. I am proud of you for getting the epidural. I am one of those who does not understand why someone wouldn't get one.

Ambrose is so cute! I can't wait to see him.

Becca Moore said...

stephanie, he is so beautiful! i am on my way back so i can meet him...

boo face mcjones said...

i had a dream last night that i came to hawaii to meet him. i think it was a sign...

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh! Both Beccas- do come!!!!! I would love it- he's such a dream- you'll love him! :)

Natalie said...

I know you are busy, but I would love to see how Ambrose looks now. I just know he has already changed a little bit!