02 February 2010

happy school!

I was talking to my good friend Echo about the fact that we don't do Na Kamalei anymore and that I wanted to do something else. We both wanted to do a home preschool.

A little while later I was talking to another good friend Rachel about a playdate swap and somehow we got talking about a home preschool.

Way before that I had talked to another good friend Matti about, you guessed it, home preschool ideas she had.

And, wouldn't you know it, all of our kids are at the same age/developmental stage give or take mere weeks.

Awesome.

And then our good friend Ashley moved back to Hawaii and we like her and her daughter is also the same exact age as our kiddlets, but we thought, four kids is perfect, no, wait, five kids is exactly what this school needs! Yep, five's the limit. Let's do it!

And we liked the Joy School values, but wanted to be more flexible in our curriculum so we added in this idea and boom:

HAPPY SCHOOL was born!

Today was the first day and look at the little darlings:

(thanks for the picture Ash!)

So every Tuesday and Thursday Ambrose gets to head off to Happy School from now until June. We teach on a rotation schedule. I have three weeks in there somewhere where we will learn about the joy of honesty, mother earth (yahoo!), and cooking.

Cute!

Ambrose talks about Happy School like it's Disneyland or something. I love it.

18 comments:

j,d and little b said...

fun idea!! I can't wait till B is that age... so fun!

sheila said...

sounds like a lot of fun to me!
I did Joy School when I was little. I still remember some of the songs {we had them on tape}. I loved it!

star said...

How fun! By the way Ambrose looks SO grown up in that pictures! What a big boy!

laurel said...

WOW. That's so cool.

The Dillinghams said...

Sounds fun! I am doing a joyschool for Dane right now and he loves it too (and I'll be honest, I love the time off:) We only have 3 now that one moved away...but 5 sounds perfect. Good luck!

melissa said...

never!

is the answer to "when will i be cool like you?"

Christina said...

What a wonderful idea-The kids are growing to flourish from this! Having families around with similar values is something I SO miss from being in Laie.

Ashley said...

Ambrose looks so old and cute in that picture.

Leslie said...

Awww, is that my cute little nephew Shae in there? (Rachel's my sis). Homeschool preschool is awesome! When my middle daughter (now in K) was 3 1/2, a group of friends and I did the exact same thing and had a great time. Not only did our kids learn just as much (probably more!) than regular preschool but we saved at least $60 a month (that's the cheapest rate in town for pre-k). The frugal part of me loves that. And my daughter actually started K knowing how to read basic words.

modestmuse said...

Wow, that is a cool idea! Ambrose is getting so tall!

Brooke said...

You should do a blog with your curriculum!! That would be fun. I would love some ideas...

liko said...

i wish i had a kid who could be in happy school!!!

Carrie said...

Ambrose is sooo so cute in that photo. I want to squish his little chipmunk cheeks.

.Ang. said...

Great idea!!!! they all look so cute!!!

I remember when I did Joy School when i was little.

"OH boy, I've got joy, I do do you?"

diana palmer said...

i want to be part of happy school---as a student. hehehehehhe. that is such a great picture. ambrose looks so, so, COOL. i'd be almost intimidated to talk to him. love your guts.

Nikki said...

Such a terrific idea! My 4 year old would be thrilled to go to a Happy School. (Shae is my sister Rachel's little boy.)

stef j. said...

ditto Liko

Melissa said...

yes I heard about happy school from Ashley the other night! It sounds like fun! I love this picture! Leave it to Ashley to get a picture of five two year olds and they ALL looking at the camera and smiling! great shot!
I like Ambrose in this picture--he looks like he is a good head and a half taller than everybody, but I think it is just because he is standing closer to the camera?