12 November 2006

Maui Trip November 2006




Well, this weekend was Upstanding Youth's third and best trip to Maui. They played two shows and finally got the crowd they've been hoping for at the second show. We stayed in Kihei and it was really relaxing and fun. At the hotel we had two suites so Thomas and I got a room, Kristen and Adam, and then everyone else divided themselves amongst the other two rooms. I thought that was really generous of everyone to let us have one of the nice rooms without any question. The first night the band played at Casanovas, this Italian restaurant/bar that they have played at before. We never get a fabulously large crowd there, but the management is so unbelievably nice that we can't resist it. They always treat us so well and have food ready for us right after the show. We get to keep all the cover charge money at the door and they are just overall great people. So, even though the crowd wasn't big, everyone who was there had a great time and we have friends at Casanovas. Speaking of people there, if anyone is as obsessed with LOST as I am, then this will be cool to you.
I was video taping one of Thomas' songs during the show and this middle aged man came and sat by me and told me I was doing it all wrong. From there he proceeded to grab my camera out of my hands (yes, he had perhaps had a few too many before this incident) and run up to the little stage while filming like a crazy person. He swung the camera side to side, and all around in looping circles- basically filming in what he thought to be a more exciting style. I nervously followed him because I was worried he was going to drop my expensive camera and then he handed it back to me when the song was over with a look on his face that seemed to scream, "See! That's how it's done!" When I went to sit back down I was still laughing really hard and this other middle aged drunk man said to me, "don't worry- he's kind of a director- he knows what he's doing!" Well, I took a better look at the guy who had grabbed my camera and quickly realized that he is an actor on LOST!!!! (not a director, not even "kind of") He is one of "The Others." One of the main ones too- you know the guy who wore a beard at first? The one who kidnapped Walt off the raft Michael made? The one who we thought was the leader of the others until we met "Henry?" Yup- that's the guy. Thomas wasn't sure when I told him- so I went up to the guy (since we were now close friends) and asked him and he was really nice and chatted with me for a while. He even came up to me later and bought an Upstanding Youth CD. He promised Aaron he would take us all on his boat the next day (you know Desmond's boat on the show? It's actually this guy's boat in real life)- but we figured that he was just a generous drunk and decided not to confuse him the next morning by making him make good on his promise.

Anyway- I don't have too much to write about the next night's gig because I stayed at the hotel after we went to dinner and unloaded the gear at the bar. I figured that this place would be too smoky for a pregnant girl and so Kristen and I stayed home. She's a great pal. The boys all said that that particular show made the trip for them- the crowd was huge and just kept getting bigger. They had several people tell them they were the best band to come to Maui and they sold tons of CDs. Saturday was great before that night's show too. We went to this beautiful beach and swam all day. The boys jumped off this big rock- Thomas was nice to me and honored my request that he not jump since I will need his help raising our baby. The girls laid out on the hot sand and swam a little. I let the pregnant stomach be free and get a little color (sorry mom) and walked up and down the beach for a some exercise. :) Marc told me he heard some ladies walk past me and say "Did you see that cute pregnant girl? I wasn't that cute when I was pregnant." That made me and my shrinking self esteem pleased as punch to hear! I asked him if he was sure they hadn't screamed "Beached Whale!!" He assured me they did not. The things that will make my day.

Anyway- it was a great trip overall and I kind of feel ready to go back to work and other responsibilities now that we had such a great weekend.

Aaron from the band is an awesome photographer and he documented the trip on his Flickr page.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Steph- That is so cool! It sounds like it was a great vacation for you guys. How funny about the Lost actor. I bet it felt good to get away from the everything for a couple of days.

Roeckers said...

Oh, girl, you look great! At least you don't get comments like I have lately..."I didn't know you were pregnant!" All the young guys Jake is going to school with make such comments, and with only 8wks to go I just about choke them. I only have this growing watermelon for show.

It looks like you guys had an amazing weekend! Beautiful sunset! It is nice to get away from reality once and while.

Anonymous said...

The pictures you posted were beautiful! I think we need to do a little island hopping ourselves at some point. Thanks for sharing your fun weekend with us.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
melissa said...

Dude, your blog is pretty much a brochure for moving to Hawaii and being married and preggers. You should go into marketing if your job doesn't work out.

J and Christy Brown family said...

Welcome to join the blog world. Good luck with your baby.