26 March 2008

best kept secrets: march2008

no.1: about day one of living in good old hauula, my good pal matti told me all about this little gym she has been frequenting. for a flat fee of $30- you get a six month membership that includes your own trainer who makes up routines for you, they take your blood and test your cholesterol, take your measurements/weight/body fat percentage..etc., and (the best part!) you get an hour long lomilomi massage every other month... all that for $30... that's like $5 per month. yeah. i have been dragging my feet on being a consistent runner/walker/anything since i had ambrose and now i am a converted believer because it is so awesome!

no.2: on my way to said gym this morning, i decided to dig out my old iPod shuffle to get me through the run over there and i guess i havent listened to it in a long long time because it still had my friend bille's mix on it from when she was training for the honolulu marathon. it was so awesome to jog along to her mix and it added an extra little spring to my stride. it almost felt emotional since she moved a couple of months ago and i have been mourning the loss. i felt like we were having a visit and it is seriously awesome to hear what someone else chooses to listen to when they are pushing themselves like that.

no.3: i am really starting to enjoy working out. i still eat total crap though. the first day i went to this gym i had to stop my little strength test twice because i felt like i was about to throw up/pass out. you wanna know why? (besides the fact that my soft/sedentary frame is unaccustomed to lifting weights... even if they were like 5lbs.)- I ATE HERSHEY KISSES AND THIS REALLY TASTY HOMEMADE WHITE SWEET BREAD FOR BREAKFAST!!!! duh. oh man. i guess that doesn't fly in the fitness world.

anyway, i was just wondering: if you currently, have in the past, plan to in the near future...etc. ever worked out or pushed yourself physically... what song(s) really get you going? it was so so so fun to jog to bille's mix and i think it got me going more than normal- i just think it would be fun to know what gets others out and moving.

no.4: for me, it seems like anything lagwagon/bad astronaut, under pressure by queen/david bowie, anything by the lawrence arms, and then click click click click by bishop allen, some nelly furtado, dance tonight by paul mccartney, and a bunch of others.

15 comments:

echo said...

i have just spent the last hour and a half coming up with playlist for you and your new love for working out. i am not sure what your style is so i came up with different playlists for different moods (screamo-punk-classics-strangely makes me want to fun faster). yeah, if you can't tell i am bored while our boys are out doing whatever it is they do. i will get you your cd's soon. maybe tomorrow when i see you.

melissa said...

i never understand people who run to the gym. (maybe you can help me out here...) by the time you get there, you're done? right? man, i am such an underachiever.

Stephanie said...

yes. done with cardio and then you get to lift some weight and in my case you get to lift 5lbs a couple of times while others lift real weights and then you are done! woo hoo!

StepheLynne said...

That is an UNBELIEVABLE deal!! But I have no ipod and run in the morning to the sound of my breathing and traffic :) When I get to move home in August I'll be listening to whatever they play at the gym...

Ali said...

I'm at a loss for advice, unless you want anymore suggestions for crap-food...

Peanut butter M&M's have been my saving grace these last two weeks. The comfort me during the chaotic moments.

I'd love to see what songs make it onto your playlist. My double stroller arrived, so walking is in my near future.

Ali said...

"anymore suggestions" - that's not proper English. I apologize.

Roeckers said...

When I run I like to listen to audio books. A few of us like to do this so one of us buys one off the internet and then shares it. Or we just find the free ones. I am less likely to peek at my millage if my mind is engaged. I am currently listening to Anne of Green Gables and then I think I might give in and listen to the Twilight series (I have a serious Vampire phobia). You can also get the book of mormon and the ensign off iTunes, but they aren't as fun to run to.

Audra said...

I don't run/workout. I use the baby as the excuse and the fact that there is snow on the ground. I haven't really listened to music lately either, I am very much a loser-stay-at-home-mom-
who-eats-cookies-and-milk.
So I am congratulating you on your recent success and keep up the good work.

stef j. said...

As you know from my amazing figure I am an avid exerciser. AVID.

Yah, well I did actually used to be. I broke my high school's bench press record for girls in my weight range (until my friend came in next period and beat me out by 2.5 lbs. - sick). I personally love CAKE and BNL and some Ben Folds. I have a BBC (BNL, Ben, CAKE) mix on my iPod that I adore when I get the urge to do something physical other than the dishes.

. said...

I remember when I put all that stuff on the ipod I though, gosh I hope no one listens to this and thinks I am lame-o cuz some of that music really is silly, but fun to listen to. I am glad you are enjoying that playlist, thanks for letting me use your shuffle.

Hailey, Brandon & Connor said...

so is this a hawaii only gym or is it a chain? i always listen to cake on the treadmill- it is the best.

Stephanie said...

yeah- i am pretty sure the government started the gym in a couple towns across the island for native hawaiians, but my haole (white) friend told me about it and i figured if they let her in they would possibly let me come too! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady!
It's Morgan Mecomber here! I was reading your blog and HAD to comment! I just started working out too! 4 days a week...tons of cardio and strength training (My legs and abs hurt so bad! And I'm walking like a penguin from the pain!) But I'm so excited for you...and I thought I'd share with you what music gets me pumped up at the gym. If you haven't heard Paramore (the Riot! album) it's a must at the gym. It's emo punk...so good. I've also recently been listening to a lot of Black Eyed Peas...the beat gets me going. Oh, and my sister turned me on to this band called The Rocket Summer...their album Do You Feel...always gets me through the last 10 minutes on the treadmill!! Good luck at the gym!! Talk to you soon! Morgan P.S. I love reading your blog...I laughed so hard at your "blog stalker" entry. lol. Ambrose is getting so big and so handsome!

Unknown said...

Hello, I stumbled across your blog and I was just wondering, where is this gym that I may also go. I need to so get rid of my pregnancy (and pre-pregnancy weight.) This gym thing sounds great!

Stephanie said...

thanks for the tips morgana! i love it when you comment on this thing- YOU should get a blog!!