15 May 2008

soundtrack stephanie may 2008


We got the new Death Cab For Cutie album "Narrow Stairs" a couple of days ago and I feel whelmed about it. I am not overwhelmed yet, nor am I (as Michael Kors would say) underwhelmed. I am just whelmed. I haven't had much time with it though since it lives in Thomas' car and I haven't put it on our iTunes yet. Give me time. Does anyone else have a favorite track yet?

In other band news, I ordered the Mateys album but in a moment of unexplainable frugality I opted to get it late to have free shipping. WHY? I can't recall what cheap-o streak was pulsing through my subconscious at the time, but I feel regret. I won't get to hear it until I get back from the mainland. Wah.

Why I am appropriately capitalizing all of my letters? there that's better. i feel less like i am writing a paper and more like i am just popping in to say hello now.

we mentioned our renewed love for wilco right? we are admittedly late in the game, but for some reason the band was never a favorite until we saw "i am trying to break your heart"- very very good stuff. if you have netflix checkcheck it out.

after listening to "yankee hotel foxtrot" obsessively we picked up "a ghost is born" and i am loving jeff tweedys superb soloing on "at least that's what you said" and "company in my back" is so nostalgic. amby likes bobbing around the house to "theologians."

what are you bobbing around the house to these days?

14 comments:

boo face mcjones said...

i am equally confused with the new death cab album. i have to admit that i am veering toward the edge of under on the whelmed spectrum.

my favorite track is still "i will possess your heart," but that could be because we've been listening to it for a few weeks... we'll see how it goes.

Stephanie said...

us too- the intro is never too long because it builds and is interesting- but then again i like good bye sky harbor by jimmy eat world a little too much- so maybe my vote doesnt count.

Becky said...

Mike and I have been listening to The New Amsterdams as of late. Our favorite song is "The Death of Us" off of Story Like a Scar.

Honestly, after Transaltanticism I haven't kept up with Death Cab. I was "under" whelmed with the Plans album. =( I was unfortunate because they were one of my favorite bands at one time.

Becky (flickr: beckylee)

ps: we have very similar music tastes it seems. =)

Stephanie said...

becky lee- i knew it was you and i am delighted that we have become the closest of internet friends! :) thomas and i think we would hang out with your family should we live closer...

melissa said...

this is a welcome post. with the whelm of semester-end/wedding, i have been disdainfully non-musical (with the exception of watching the matey's get better video several time in anticipation. the video is nuts, but the song has me. what WERE you thinking, you cheapo? just kidding, i haven't even ordered it yet). i've got to get back in the game. maybe i'll start with wilco, because i've never been that onto them in the past either. lately we've just been listening to fleetwood mac, john denver, and the flight of the conchords. time to move on.

. said...

FOr a really long time I though Wilco was a black R&B guy...needless to say I had never listened to their stuff. Whenever I MIke has them on I have to take a minute to do a mental shuffle, who is this? Well it does not sound R&B-ish, so it is not that wilco person, oh wait it is, and not just one person either, but a whole group.

boo face mcjones said...

ah, i also love "goodbye sky harbor," so your vote totally counts. i think that the intro definitely makes "i will possess your heart," the radio edit with shortened intro is disappointing... you definitely picked the key part of the song (so says i)

Natalie said...

Well since that entire post was in a different language to me...I am old and out of it...I will just say that right now the most played song at our house is Slow Ride by Foghat because it is the song the kids can do on Guitar Hero. Jason plays air guitar and sings it all day...

Stephanie said...

i love having musical friends! and nat- i love picturing the kiddlies playing slow ride- nothing seems cuter right now. plus- you are the coolest! i would have never been half as interested in punk rock if it werent for your early influence. i wanted to be like my cool older sister so bad!

star said...

This post has reminded me how out of date I am with music. Some of my favorites have been red hot chili peppers, weezer, jimmy eat world, etc, but I am horribly behind. I guess it's my day job... haha! Actually, I have discovered I love country music, which makes me the odd ball here. I checked out some of the bands you mentioned and liked them.

star said...

I did a google search for Mateys album and your blog was the top of the list. That makes you famous!

Stephanie said...

oh sorry Star! the band is Mates of State! i just call them the mateys sometimes as a way of pretending that i am close, personal friends of them. :)

::jill:: said...

cath and long division are my favorites so far...

The Prigmore Family said...

I don't know why I feel the need to comment on every post but here goes:
could've gone to the deathcab concert with best friends if we had 80 bucks to spare. the end.