We bought some finger paints last week so the boys needed art smocks.
I got inspiration from Make it and Love it. I made the boy version of course (no ruffle), but since I like to make life hard I decided to cover a vintage sheet with vinyl instead of just using cotton.
It was slippery business and guess what? Vinyl doesn't slide through a presser foot and I have a wonky edge or two to prove it. So, I nixed the bias tape around the edges and zigzagged stitched raw edges. It was the easy way out and I love it. So mission accomplished Make it and Love it.
The closure on the back makes it easy to hang and store.
I learned a lot making these should-be-simple smocks. For example, I was so frustrated about not being able to sew on the vinyl that I couldn't think clearly enough to remember that you can sew with tissue paper over the vinyl, which comes off when you are done. I also learned that making two little smocks is a lot like making two little dresses and I really need to have a baby girl to sew for someday, because despite the vinyl drama this was a very very fun project.
Oh and the vinyl drama was totally worth it since Ambrose managed to get paint all over his smock (duh) and it wiped right off!
Way to go vinyl smock. Way to keep it clean.