29 December 2011

Did you watch that video I just posted?

It explains a little about what Daughters in My Kingdom is all about.

You can click on the title of the book in this post for more info. If you haven't already received a copy in your ward you can go to that link to buy or read a copy and most smart phone owners can even read it on their phone!

I just finished reading it and I cannot recommend it enough. Chapters 4,5,7,9, and 10 in particular if you don't want to read the whole thing, but really the whole thing filled me with such a sense of purpose, light, happiness, and optimism for the future that I suggest you read it all if you haven't already!

Some favorite passages:

"Hold your head high, you wives, you mothers, homemakers. You engender life and enrich it. Don't trade that pervasive force for fleeting, surface trinkets. Cherish it, enlarge it, magnify it. You hold a mighty office" (159).

"Whenever a woman strengthens the faith of a child, she contributes to the strength of a family - now and in the future" (159).

And so many others like it and the history of the women in the church and the countless stories of people who gave so much of their time, talents, and all that they had to help and serve others. Smart women, good women, imperfect but willing women.

I think women are pulled in so many directions today- which can be wonderful sometimes and completely defeating at other times. It is so refreshing to feel a part of something so large and noble that is a part of everyone's heritage. It is empowering to know that not only is this our legacy, but we can also feel the same pure joy by doing all we can to bless the lives of our families and those who need our help- and the amazing thing- in turn we will be blessed too!

Who else has read it? What was your favorite part?

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

You just made me want to get my book out and actually read it. Thank you!

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad! You're gonna love it. :)

Brittany said...

I love chapter 7!