07 March 2009

stephanie learns to sew

Project No.2: Sexy SEXY shorts :)

so it's not really a secret, but for some odd reason i didnt feel like telling anyone that i've been hangin' around Bernina in Honolulu the last couple of saturdays just trying to get a little confidence in the sewing department. i just wanted to do it for me and be kinda anonymous in a group of people i didnt know where i wouldnt be all embarrassed to ask stupid questions. so, i've been hanging out with the fabulous auntie dana (and all the other bernina ladies and enthusiasts) and she's been walking me and a few others through the basics and our first project was the basic shorts pattern that you may have seen before.

let me tell you.

they are HOT :) what with their elastic waist, uncertain length, and the way in which they hang from my expanding waist line and billow out as they are want to do and whatnot.

but i am so so glad that i made them because i learned a ton about pattern language, altering a pattern (the original pattern called for a HIGH "mom-jeans" waist), and constructing a garment in general.

so, i put them on to possibly take a picture for the good old blog and all i could do is laugh and laugh and laugh. not only is the fabric LOUD with a capital L since i just picked something i had from a long time ago, but well, my body right now + loud, SEXY shorts= humiliating, and very awesome.

only thomas and ambrose were privy to that freak show.

so i told ambrose to hold them up and model them for my iPhone camera and this is what ya get: BEAUTIFUL! :)

this week i started my first week with the big girls - the girls who just come with their own projects and work on them with auntie dana in ear shot to help, advise, support...etc. since i finished my shorts, i will be working on a knit dress over the next couple of weeks and i am pretty dang excited.

i love love love sewing and hanging out with all these people, just being around them and soaking up their vibe. i have a lot to learn and it is fun to learn it this way.

15 comments:

echo said...

i am so glad/jealous that you have been able to do that class. i wanted to a while ago but it just didn't fit into our budget. maybe one day i will get a formal education in sewing. but for now i will just have to keep making it up as i go along.
i really hope to see those shorts in the future. PLEASE!! what if i bring you cookies? eh? eh?
no? ok well i am still glad you did it. it is a great accomplishment to finish a project and then just sit back and look at it and feel well, accomplished, i guess. good job.

Carrie said...

Fun! I want to come!

The shorts look great, and I'm excited to see the dress.

I feel so inspired to go work on my many projects!

diana palmer said...

heeeeyyyyy! i thought you promised me those shorts in a "wood fabric" pattern to spice up my love life! i laughed so hard at that.

and the idea of you just laughing laughing laughing brings me so much joy.

you are so wonderful and capable! weird compliment maybe, but fitting!

Stephanie said...

ah yes- the wood fabric! i was worried at the last second that i didnt have enough of it so i made the polka dot swirl shorts instead and we had to make them to fit our bodies specifically so i knew that wouldnt work- but never fear- you may just get those spicy wood shorts yet!

ashley said...

i am also glad/jealous about the class too. that is so cool that you are doing that and i am sure you are learning so much. i have never made anything from a pattern, so you are one up on me for sure and but the time i get back there i will have to hire you for lessons for sure. guess i gotta get my crappy machine working again too. dang.

liko said...

awesome awesome, steph!!! yeah, and i bet they look better on you than you'd like to admit. you're too modest. i'm excited about your knit dress. i ordered and got two books in the mail, one was that one i posted about by heather ross (my birthday gifts to myself, as i like to justify them). anyways, i wish i could take a class like that, too, because even with the instructions AND pictures, i end up screwing things up. and i make a mental note for future reference. but after a few days on break and no sewing, i totally diregard and FORGET about my mental notes and make the same mistakes over. i bet a class would help me learn to sew more effectively and remember it! you lucky gal, you!! yeah, and like ashley said, maybe you can teach us to sew. heehee.

modestmuse said...

lol your description of trying on the shorts is hilarious. Good for you! Sewing seems like such a useful, fun, creative hobby.

laurel said...

Oh man! I so was hoping to see those shorts on! I recall having a similar sort of shorts a long while back when I used to sew with my mom.

meg fee said...

oooh, I'm getting in the project mood too--I love that you're doing this. Good luck and keep on truckin!

Brady and Rachel said...

I'm impressed Steph! You are taking a class that I think would be fun, but would probably be too afraid to actually do it. Way to expand your horizons and learn something new. Maybe I will follow in your footsteps one day.

lizzie said...

Stephanie, every single piece of clothing I've ever made sounds similar to these shorts. Wrong fabric, wrong fit, easiest thing to make but not something you actually want to be seen wearing publicly. But I'm sure the dress will put anything I made to shame. Can't wait to see it.

The Hukilau Beach House Blog said...

oh, I still think you should show off the sexy shorts!
You classes sound fun. Especially if it is full of older Hawaiian aunty's.
be sure to post up EVERYTHING you make.

sheila said...

oh, that last comment was me.

melissa said...

when you have so many comments it doesn't matter what i say!

stef j. said...

ditto to the previous.

but i think it's uber cool you get to take a sewing class! and that you made SEXY SHORTS!! *growl*