09 March 2009

everyday vintage

ok, one of the coolest things about living in my in-laws house right now has got to be all the amazing vintage stuff that i get to use. my mother-in-law has a wide range of books, kid toys, appliances, and just general day-to-day items that she has kept in good condition and still uses. this means i get to use them too! melissa p.- you would die. you would LOVE it! i think fondly of you each time i find something new.

people go on hunts for some of the things she has. a cursory browse of ebay or even amazon will get you many of these items and sometimes for reasonable prices, but it is so fun to use the original thing. no one owned it before- it's just hers.
take for instance, the betty crocker cookbook. most of us who were married within the last decade were given this version (or something that looks like it) as a wedding present (maybe even were given it a couple of times):

here's the 1961 version that linda has:
i made the fluffy white cupcakes in there and some homemade frosting last night and they were tasty!
it was fun. i dont know why it's more fun to me to make recipes when the pages look like this: it just is. :)
anyway, i'll post some more cool finds later for melissa and any other vintage enthusiasts. i'm pretty sure my mother-in-law linda reads my blog so i just want her to rest assured that i wont be putting up anything personal or embarrassing- just books and things. it is just too cool! :)

10 comments:

liko said...

awesome!! vintage is so cool these days! that's an old cookbook, so rad that she kept them in good condition! and i love the illustrations. haha!

melissa said...

goodness, you're right, i'm dying. that is awesome. nate's grandparents are 1. very cool 2. very artsy 3. hoarders. which means their house makes me die of awesomeness everytime i go there, and here's the teaser: i'm borrowing one of the vintagest things they have and i'm wearing it on wednesday. just wait.

stef j. said...

i would bake every meal, every day if my books looked like that!!

how AWESOME that she kept everything lookin' so splendid!

. said...

love vintage cookbooks, especially when they have such great illustrations. My mom has this really dated book which features classy chapter titles such as, when he carves, and fondue is fun (or something like that). The pictures are even better, kinda gross actually, just think giant meat salad. I know i've peaked your interest.

echo said...

great job linda for keeping those things in such great condition!! keep posting more, as you know i love all things vintage!

laurel said...

oh how I love sufjan stevens. I still don't know how to put music on a blog....

The Pixton Family said...

That's so cool. I have one of Grandma Vela's old ward cookbooks. Almost every recipe calls for a cup or more of lard!

sheila said...

my mom is the same way. sometimes I'm tempted to steal the book from her, but then she would notice... and of course know it was me.

ashley said...

how fun! keep em coming!

darcie said...

the label old fash caught my eye if you follow me. sure do miss you over at my blog. sniff sniff.