28 August 2009

everyday vintage part two

remember when i was like, "blah, blah, blah my mother-in-law has a lot of cool vintage stuff in her house that i get to use"? it was a while ago. i know. anyway, i never delivered on my promise to showcase more of her treasures. is it really mine to share? well, no. but it's just so dang cool! i cant count the number of times i have heard people talk about the charm of vintage pyrex. some people have searching out every piece they can find at rummage sales and thrift stores as a life-long ambition. i'm kinda exaggerating, but kinda not. people are pretty gaga over this stuff and she has a bunch. today i was starting dinner and i was like, "thomas, i LOVE your mom's vintage pyrex!!!! i just love love using it!!!" and he was like, "cool."

men dont really get it. but can i get an "amen!" from the ladies??

and then there's this little treasure that ambrose and so many of his friends have enjoyed jamming and that me and my mother-in-law have enjoyed unjamming. we have noticed though that it is near impossible to permanently jam and therefore is a quality-stand-the-test-of-time toy. obviously, since thomas and his siblings played with this and now ambrose gets to as well and it works just as well as it did back then.

and our last lane through vintage country takes us to the bookcase in my in-laws room that we sleep in- here's a sampling of one choice shelf:

ahhhhh! how cool is that?? this is like my favorite thing ever. i brought my sister ashley in here when she was visitng since she is a book nerd too and we just freaked out over all the cool classics. all from either when linda was young or from her fathers collection. i mean come on:


they just dont make 'em like they used to. although they do try. maybe our kids kids will be drooling over first editions of harry potter from our bookshelves, but i just doubt it for some reason. prove me wrong kids.

and sorry for the grainy, blurry images. poor lighting + iPhone camera = you pretending these images are vintage.... and then they are cool. :)

8 comments:

.Ang. said...

SOoo funny, I was just talking to mike about how much I love vintage Pyrex like... 2 nights ago. Or last night??? I LOVE IT!!! I've collected some awesome stuff since moving here. I love ALL things vintage, but I have a special place in my heart for vintage Pyrex!

melissa said...

oh that robin hood is awesome.

and my aunt was kind enough to give me a four bowl set of vintage pyrex bowls--alternating yellow and white-- for my wedding. who knows where she got them...probably her wedding (she's much older than my dad.) i thought (and think) it is awesome, while nate's like old bowls?

stef j. said...

i LOVE that a 3/4" book can teach me all about rockets and jets ... :)

snbjork said...

Um, I feel bad admitting this. But, I have some vintage pyrex (pink, orange and yellow set with white frilly designs similar to the one on the right that you have pictured) that I have sitting in the garage. I like new looking thing. You want mine? Come and get it anytime. Barry's grandma left it here when she sold us her house.

Anyway, I totally remember that cash register thingy. We had one of those growing up, although, I'm not sure it survived me and my ten siblings and nephews...

liko said...

i.want.those.books.

all of em.

and i remember going thrift shopping with my mo-in-law when i was pregnant with faith - looking for stuff for our new place.

we went to some salvation army in town somewhere, i suck when it comes to that, don't know exactly the way to get there and haven't been to that exact one ever since, but they had TONS of vintage pyrex. and i mean TONS. piles and piles of stuff in great condition. back then i didn't have the apreciation for the vintage things like i do now. but thinking back, it was awesome. i think it was somewhere near the halawa prison or something...i think. maybe we should make some thrifting trips...

Stephanie said...

suzanne- send them to me!!!! :) i wonder if they would survive the trip? :)

liko- LET"S GO!!!! im not kidding.

modestmuse said...

The coolest by FAR are Linda's dark green plates with sort of light green flowers or curlicues or something - the plates she fed the cat off of! They are BEAUTIFUL and totally hip. She said she got them for their wedding. I would die to find a set of those for my kitchen.

The Pixton Family said...

I love vintage pyrex, it makes me want to put on an apron and whip up a casserole!