24 August 2009

first things first



it's a sweet time of life with so much mysterious possibility around the corner. i know i say it's a sweet time of life a lot on this here blog but it's true.

ambrose is turning into a little child who learns, understands, and remembers things i tell him like today as we were having a little outing just the two of us to the grocery store:

ambrose: mama, what the trees doing?
me: hmmmmm.... (what are the trees doing????) well, they're dancing in the wind and the leaves are painting the sky....

and then i just laughed to myself because he nods and accepts my earthy answers as fact.

later tonight he was being extra precious to stall his bedtime by telling me to lay down with him and tell him "cousin stories" so i took him on an imaginary journey in the sky from his cousins in texas, to kansas city, to utah, las vegas and then ending in california. he giggled and put a chubby arm tight around my neck and said, "mama, the tress...dance in the wind.... and the leaves (i could almost hear his brain working overtime to remember it all) paint the sky!"

oh man, he had me in the palm of his pudgy hand and he knew it.

ambrose: mama, stephanie (yes he likes to call us by our first names), ambrose go temple with mama, daddy and asher!
me: yep. that's what we did tonight.
ambrose: sing temple song!

so, i sing "i love to see the temple." it's of course a solo since he only knows a word here and there and even though i dont think of myself as much of a singer i never feel embarrassed to sing out loud and proud to my babies. as i'm singing he hugs me real tight and kisses my cheek and i cry a little, because i feel lucky to have so many moments like these with him all day long and i know it wont last forever.

he wont always ask to hold my hand in the grocery store or hug me close and ask for me to sing to him, but he does now and i love it.

i have a lot to do lately, but all i find myself wanting to do is play with ambrose, and cuddle asher, and sing to my babies, and hold them close. i feel grateful for the chance to teach soon, but even more grateful to be ambrose's and asher's mom.

10 comments:

liko said...

one of my favorite posts of yours to date.

isn't motherhood a crazy thing??

wouldn't trade it for anything else in this world!!

and i love your tree theory. so eloquently and beautifully put.

and yes, i know that i will miss these days of when my kids say they love me over and over and give me cuddles and hugs and kisses. oh, i'm loving it!!

liko said...

oh, and ambrose is a sweetie.
:-)

The Price Family said...

This is a sweet post. You make me want to wake Elizabeth up and cuddle her right now....but I can wait until she wakes in the morning :) I do often wonder when she will not care so much when I walk in the door and when she wont rub noses with me all day long saying "mommy" in a half man voice. Oh I want these times to last forever. sigh.....

diana palmer said...

we went to the temple for FHE too. But our experience wasn't quite as poetic and beautiful! still, i feel like we shared something!

echo said...

sweet little ambrose.
you are a sweet mother, your boys are lucky to have you.

stef j. said...

and that's why we keep doing it on the days it's not-so-good... :)

how incredibly, adorably, precious!! i would've squozen the poor child to bits!

Brady and Rachel said...

Those are the moments that remind us it is all worth it! What a sweetheart. Tayson was/is ours, and then came the stubborn little Camden. Watch out for Asher. j/k We love both of our boys and their own personalities as you do yours.

laurel said...

So much LOVE in this post. You captured something very precious here and I'm glad you shared it.

harmony said...

hey stephanie,

brandon & i loved your family's talks yesterday. i think i felt the spirit a little too strong because i couldn't stop the tears from flowing!! (yeah - i'm not embarrassed, but maybe i should've been! hahaha!) you are such an example of a great mother...love this post!!!!

darcie said...

i teared up thinking about you singing and ambrose hugging you. i know everyone says it just gets more and more wonderful as they grow up, but i'd keep the toddler FOREVER!