19 August 2010

no one's ever accused us of being athletic

Not that I know of anyway. Feel free to come forward if you have. I'll probably award you some sort of fantastic prize out of shock.

But, I know that a lot of kids pick up skills and talents at the age of three and so we are trying our hand at a couple of things lately. Really, it's probably my creepy inner stage mom sneaking it's way out or something... I guess in this case inner soccer mom or something.

Doesn't it seem like a lot of people who have some musical talent or were first string of a sports team started when they were like three? Am I making this up?

The memory of me struggling at dance or swim team or soccer when I was 12 and wishing I could be as good as my friends who started when they were three is probably driving my current lesson hunt. Blame it if you will, but don't linger too long because I have some cute pictures to show you.

First: An apology to my dear mother. She tried to get me to love the piano from a young age, bless her heart, and now I wish I would have listened to her. Oh and I was in gymnastics when I was little too and was pretty good, but lost interest as soon as I grew to a normal size.... that sport would do well to find that secret water fountain from Tuck Everlasting...

Now on to the pictures...

Exhibit one:

The boy in his second session of swim lessons. We'll see if he ever puts his whole head under the water, but the good news is he loves it and shows steady (slow) improvement.

Exhibit two:


Kids can't start AYSO soccer until they are 5 here, but our genius primary president has a son who is 4 who was dying to play soccer like his older siblings so she started a little 3-4 year old boy soccer group and it is so fun! It's just the right amount of boys too. Not so small that they don't feel like a team, but anymore would probably be pure chaos. They do all kinds of creative games and I may have cried a little while watching Ambrose interact with his "team".

So far no sign of any athletic prodigy, but he can, like, run around and kick stuff...

So, yeah.... we're pretty sporty. Watch out.

6 comments:

kristi said...

sports are getting insane these days, so my nephew is in 3rd grade he is a crazy good sports kid - has been forever. Anyway this year they are padding up for football, also having tryouts for positions. So my sister came on vacation to our house and he couldn't come because if he misses practice he won't play. INSANE - i think that is a little much at such a young age. We should teach them team building skills at this age not to be individual super starts. that is my rant.
YES, I agree that most people who were all stars started so very young between ages 3-5. But they also focused on one or two sports I feel.

So cool to see him playing soccer I can't wait for Keilana to enjoy sports and music.

liko said...

that's too cute!!

laurel said...

Hehe... momma and boy are both so friggen adorable.

side note:
Haven't been commenting because I went to a week long meditation retreat and am getting geared up to move to Portland!

Bluebird & Company said...

I have to say I laughed inside as I read this...
I was one of those non-sporty kids growing up too. so this post made me laugh.
I did however do gymnastics, dance, softball, swim-lessons, etc. also at the ripe old age of 3 through 10 before I finally threw up my hands and let my parents know that sports were just not my 'thang'.
nevertheless.....
I have followed suit and signed my boys up for everything under the sun. don't ask me why. I have no clue.....it must be some sort of inherent motherly thing to try and find your kids "nich".

Carrie said...

DREADED AGE THREEE!!!! It happened to me too, when Benson turned three. I really started to panic that his time for becoming an eventual prodigy was NOW and who was I to deny him so we signed him up for everything. Yeah, probably not so much a prodigy, that Benson. So Banks gets to wait until a more sensible 5. :) hahaha I spent too many saturdays on the side of the soccer field watching my child refuse to even run TOWARD the ball during the game.

Brady and Rachel said...

Haha! Love it. Well Ambrose is already showing more signs of being athletic on the soccer field than Tayson at that age. We found one soccer league that allowed him to play at age 3 in Utah (non here), and Tayson was a pro at hugging his friends, spinning around in circles and peeing on the field, not so much at kicking the ball. :)