28 October 2009

Oh my, when will I learn


This is Ambrose's new preschool group. Same school (Na Kamalei) but different location (Sunset Christian across from Ke Iki beach) and some new friends.

See the happy little Ambrose with his ukulele. So sweet and precious.

I need to learn my lesson: He is the two year old and I am the mom.

If I pack our day too full and he doesn't get a nap because of it he will be extra cranky and I need to recognize this fact instead of losing my patience and acting like a two year old myself. Or a hormonal teenage girl fighting with my little brother. Whatever I was acting like- it wasn't like I was acting like his loving mother.

The preschool picture has nothing to do with this lesson that I am trying to teach myself. It just has more to do with me sitting here yet again, thirty minutes after he has gone to bed (Yes, I put the tired boy to bed an hour early. We both needed him to be in bed.) looking at sweet pictures of him and feeling sorry that I can't be a better mom when I am tired/stressed/or feeling out of it.

I need to eliminate things from our life that don't matter and focus on what does.

I read this tonight and felt like I knew what I needed to do:

"Satan and his hosts will do all in their power to keep you from obtaining the ordinances required for the ideal family. He will attempt to distract you from centering your mind and heart on raising a strong family by nurturing your children as the Lord requires.

Are there so many fascinating, exciting things to do or so many challenges pressing down upon you that it is hard to keep focused on that which is essential? When things of the world crowd in, all too often the wrong things take highest priority. Then it is easy to forget the fundamental purpose of life. Satan has a powerful tool to use against good people. It is distraction. He would have good people fill life with “good things” so there is no room for the essential ones. Have you unconsciously been caught in that trap?"
"First Thing's First" by Richard G. Scott 2001

Today was packed with a little too much and my son needed a nap and my understanding and love.

I will do better tomorrow. I promise.

7 comments:

lindsey said...

I know the feeling. I'm pretty sure every mom does.

My mom gave me a GREAT book called "mitten strings from God" and it is all about simplifying your life and your time with your kids. It's a really good book for mom's with young kids:) Worth the read indeed.

ashley said...

velzy and i fight like that at bed times sometimes, it's the worst and i always feel like you do after the fact. ugh.

so i have come to the conclusion that i need that tattooed on my arm, preferably my right forearm so i can see it when i sit and the computer and put off the more important things to "have a minute to myself" and do what i want.

thanks for posting that!

.Ang. said...

I've had so many of those moments lately.. and so many eye openers. and so many resolutions, and so many failures.

it's hard.

But slowly it's getting better.

I'm right there with you friend!

Thanks for this!

Matti said...

I'd imagine every mom knows the feeling. I know i sure do. Glad I'm not the only one...but i do this ALL the time. And by the end of the day I totally feel like Eden is my little sister who I have just been bickering with. Tomorrow will be better.

liko said...

oh yes, story of my life. you figure i'd learn by now, too. i go to bed feeling resolved to be a better mom tomorrow. and i wake up and things happen and that resolve dissolves. so sad. and pathetic i feel, too.

thank you for that thought by Elder Scott.

as for the halloween bags, there are measurements for them that i used from my book 'simple sewing' by lotta jansdotter. my first, or second?, craft/sewing book purchase -- months ago. if you're going to echo's today i'll bring it by and you can borrow it or something.

Megan and Keli'i said...

Yes, I say that every night too...I will do better tomorrow!

snbjork said...

Wow does this ever strike a chord with me! Being a mom is stinkin' hard! It's easy to love those little people, but not always easy to be patient and kind when they're going crazy.

Just today I decided to "quickly" run into Kohl's to get a baby gift for a friend. Well, it was already 1:15 when we got there (naptime) and we were in there for an hour. I was so frustrated with my kids for not staying right with me and wanting to play with all the toys in there. Um...hello?! Mommy, where's your head? What do you expect a four year old and a 2 year old to act like when it's naptime, they've been playing hard all day, and you want to pull them away from the fun toys to look at clothes?!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

We can all try just a little bit harder every day. Sometimes I think you read my mind, even from across the Pacific.